Sunday, June 1, 2008

Racing for Alex

Today saw me getting up at 0515, hopping in the car along with Michael L. and my girlfriend, and driving down to Mahoning County for the Race for Alex. Alex is a cyclist who also happens to be recovering from a spinal cord injury; the race was held as a fund-raiser for him. If the 54 riders in the 4/5 pack were any indicator of the fields for the other races, they did pretty well (entry was $25 each).

I was not in top form today. In fact, I was in pretty crappy form today. I got chewed up and spit out very early on, managed to hang on within striking distance through the first lap, and got dropped for real after the second lap. Potential excuses were rampant: my bike grappled with that of another rider on the first lap and I got kicked out to the side over the center-line thus ruining my poise and concentration, I was coming off night shift Friday night, my frame/wheels are vertically stiff and laterally compliant. Or maybe it's because my lazy ass hasn't seen a bike saddle since the last time I posted. Yeah, definitely the equipment.

Other than my lack of badassery today, the race was actually really awesome. We had five riders in the 4/5 pack, and Pete S. managed to pull out a 5th place. The course itself was a smoothly paved 5-ish mile circuit with some decent rollers. The corners were clean, registration was a breeze, and the weather was great.

Today's performance has led me to realize that I need to practice more. To that end, I've decided that I want 200 miles ridden by next Sunday. I'll try to get a more focused plan together soon, but that is the base goal. So if you're looking for a riding partner this week give me a call. I'm probably up for it.

Oh, and I'm likely moving to California in July. More on that later.