Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday in Paradise

Today was as close to a perfect outside day as Cleveland has seen in some time. I opted to take advantage of it and head out on as long a ride as I could. After being productive in the morning, I hopped on the bike around 3:00 PM and headed out towards the Valley Parkway. I wound up turning off the Parkway at Broadview Rd. and stopping at Bike Authority before I turned around. Doug, one of their fine employees, suggested heading down Avery Rd. instead of straight down Broadview, thus avoiding the rather sticky intersection at Broadview and Royalton. It also wound up being easier; the rollers didn't feel nearly as steep as on the way in.

On the way back up the Parkway I stopped at the Wallace parking lot near Berea and met the Skull & Goggles group, an offshoot of the Fagowees ski and social club. I cruised along with them for around ten miles before they turned around (they're a laid back short ride kind of club). I headed all the way up the Valley Parkway to the north end at Detroit Rd., and back home from there. Total mileage was 69 and change, with around 2,000 feet of climbing and an average speed of around 21 mph. Had I not turned off at Broadview I could have picked up quite a bit more climbing and a few more miles, but I think I earned my burger and beer tonight all the same.

Speaking of burgers and beer (and all sorts of other deliciousness), tonight's recovery meal was provided by the Buckeye Beer Engine in beautiful Lakewood, Ohio. The Beer Engine is on Madison, a few blocks to the west of Spin Bike Shop. They have 27 taps and around 110 bottles, all of which rotate on a regular basis. They also have a full bar, though the beer list has kept me more than busy. Food-wise, the Beer Engine is home to probably the best burgers I've ever had in Cleveland, if not ever. Toppings include everything you can think of, ranging from your standard cheese and bun to the jerk seasoning with mango salsa (and bun) I had tonight. If burgers aren't your thing, fear not! Any burger on their menu is available as a chicken breast, portabello 'shroom cap, or spicy black bean variety, and there are plenty of other entrees as well; I just happen to have a soft spot for burgers. The menu is extremely vegetarian friendly, with lots of options for non-carnivores, and anything vegetarian is cooked on dedicated equipment (unlike certain other local chains *coughLizardcough*). Check out their menu and beer list at their website or stop in after a Wednesday Spin ride. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the pain. SPELLCHECK SO I DON'T HAVE TO BEAT YOU.

Mike N. said...

But you beat me anyway...