Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bike Riding Rule #1

Headed out to Westlake, Tuesday, since it was a fantastic day and for once I didn't have to work on a Tuesday. Wound up carpooling with Matt O., since both of us enjoy the idea of saving the world. When we got to Westlake, we registered and started to warm up. I wasn't really feeling the warmup, probably since I hadn't been on the bike for a while (like since the east side ride last week with the girlfriend). I line up anyway, since there are no refunds and I'm already there, plus I usually feel better after a lap or two.

I should point out, at this point, that Snakebite makes up somewhere near a third of the B field, so we should have no problem dominating the race.

The first lap after neutral is a cash prime (which seems to be standard for Westlake), and I decide to chase it. I jumped a little too early and got sprinted by one guy, but I decided at that point to just keep hauling ass. So I do. All the way around the first turn into the wind where I die. I barely hang onto the pack for the next lap, but I feel recovered after we cross the line (where the bell is ringing for another prime). So I pick up my pace, and hit the first turn. Which is when I hear the gunshot. Except it's not a gunshot, it's my rear tire blowing out. While leaned over in a turn. You don't need to be a physicist to know that this is bad.

I don't remember many details about the wreck, except that I stayed up longer than I expected, fell in a far more controlled manner than I expected, and managed to not hit my head. That being said, both tires blew out (the front blew on the way down), and I smacked most of my right side into the ground. Work on Wednesday was somewhat less than fun, but was tolerable thanks to lots of ibuprofen.

Tomorrow I get to check out the bike and see if it's ridable. I need to hit Bike Authority anyway, since I need a new rear tire, so the plan is to have someone there give it a quick look. Hopefully everything will check out and I'll be headed to Sugar Grove race Saturday. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to wait for the Soloist...

2 comments:

JimmyNick said...

How are the wounds? Were you as sore on Wed. as you expected?

Mike N. said...

Both the bike and I are fine. Picked up a Vittoria Rubino Pro (the 120 TPI version) at BA, and the bruises aren't bad. Wednesday wasn't too bad, but I also was taking Tylenol and Advil religiously.