Monday, June 16, 2008

Stage 4: More Flats

Stage 4

With three stages survived, twenty-five seconds behind first and a solid fifty seconds ahead of third in the general classification, all I had to do was survive for thirty-nine more miles and an excellent finish was all but guaranteed.

But who the hell wants to drive four hours and work that hard for a boring, second place finish? Not me! So as soon as the race started I began throwing attacks off the front, dropping back a couple wheels and recovering, and doing it again. I was working with Mike Abney again, but we just couldn't get anything to stick. The Buckeye Cycling team was out in force for Sunday's stage, and they were actually doing a good job of protecting their leading man. They were in front chasing down all my breaks, and they held the pace at a comfy 22mph for almost the entire race. On the final lap, the third place rider tried to make a break for it but was pulled back even faster than usual, since half the support he had organized (me) got boxed just as he launched his attack. With around a half-mile to go, a couple guys shot off the front, and I went with them. At one point we had about a five second lead on the field, but then the front guy just stopped working. I screamed at them to rotate the lead, hoping to ride into the sprint straightaway and pour every last watt I could into the pedals, but they weren't interested, so I shot in front and pulled the group through. Three of them whipped around me to sprint for the pay places, and I held on for fourth in the stage, and second in the GC. For my troubles, I added a Rudy Project Kontact helmet to my winnings for the weekend.

This is likely my last race before I move to California, unless I can find time to hit the state time trial in Groveport next week. Not a bad way to end my Ohio racing career. Hopefully my California days will see some glory, too.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for your help after the race with my injuries. I did go to the hospital after the race and ended up with a fractured max sinus with blood in the sinus and a separated R shoulder. I was back at work the next day...a bit on the sore side though. Your help was very gracious! Just wanted to say thanks again.

Mike Moran
moran742@gmail.com

ds said...

Nice Job in the overall Mike!

-dave s.

Mike N. said...

Thanks, Dave! Like you said, it all came down to the time trial.
~MTN

Unknown said...

Hi Mike,
Are you coming to state TT this weekend? Let's get together for dinner Saturday night if you are. I am headed to Cleveland next week, Wed-Friday morning. Interested in getting out for a ride? I will need some miles.
Mike Abney
mabney2003@hotmail.com