Sunday, April 6, 2008

We can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind...

At 1020 PDT on Friday, April 4, I arrived in Los Angeles. I left the torrential downpours of northeast and central Ohio (having flown out of Columbus) for the sun and sand of southern California. My friend George has been kind enough to let me stay at his place in Santa Monica while I'm in town, and so far the time here is shaping up nicely. The plan for the week involves backpacking in the Malibu Hills (yes, Virginia, there is a thru-hikable trail in L.A. County), hitting the beach, and checking out a bike from one of the local bike shops and getting acquainted with California Highway 1 around Malibu; bringing my bike with me wasn't worth the hassle, since pack/unpack times would have put it out of commission for a week, all in exchange for only about a day's worth of riding.

Flying out the route took us over the Rockies west of Denver before the plane turned south west across the Four Corners region, including Durango, Mesa Verde, and the Grand Canyon. I got a few shots out the window of the surrounding area, and I'll post any good ones when I get home. The flights went smoothly, and all my checked baggage arrived as planned. The rest of Friday was spent napping, then attending a Santa Monica Theater Guild production of The Full Monty.

Yesterday we hit the REI store in downtown Santa Monica to pick up some supplies that the FAA frowns upon carrying aboard an aircraft and generally hung around. We also grabbed the necessary supplies for a Pepsi-can alcohol stove, since I've always wanted to try one, and I'm finally going somewhere with an average altitude below 10,000 ft.

Time to head out and enjoy the day. Good luck to all my Snakebite teammates at the Weekly Worlds this Tuesday!

1 comment:

JimmyNick said...

Awesome way to spend some vacation!
As for Emerald Necklace riding: It'll probably have to wait until mid/late May 'cause of RATL & Covered Bridge series.

JN