Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Assure You: We're Open

Despite my lack of posts lately, I've been busy. Last Saturday found me at RATL #1, and Sunday saw me riding the Team IPRO Spring Time Trial.

RATL #1 didn't go so well; there was a distinct lack of organization in Team Snakebite, though Michael L. and I managed to hang on in the front of the main pack for seventh and twelfth overall(a six man break took off in the confusion that followed the women's pack coming up behind, and a few juniors getting overtaken with two laps to go). For how the rest of SBR did, check out Rick's report.

The time trial went fairly well; I held a 22.89 mph pace over the ten mile course, for a time of 26:13. This landed me a 5th in my age group and 13th overall. I feel like I could have pushed harder, had I known my speed and cadence. Unfortunately, the sensor wire for my Cateye Astrale 8 was torn out of the mount sometime that morning during transit. I'll get another shot at the course in the fall, though, so I hope to do better then.

On Monday I went to see the fine folks at Bike Authority for a new computer. They hooked me up with a Trek Incite ACH Digital. It features cadence, rear wheel speed, and heartrate, all via wireless. It also includes an altimeter, a grade calculator, and a thermometer. Lots of awesome data, but way too much to look at while riding. It will be nice to track my climbing practice, though.

Since I had to work Tuesday night, I couldn't race Westlake this week, and I was pretty fried on Wednesday, I opted for the Thursday Square Wheels ride over on the east side. Chris B. and Pete S. from SBR were there, along with some of the other East side regulars. The guys were great to ride with; we got a rotating paceline going in a few places, and the 1-2-3 riders I was with were kind enough to sit up at the top of big hills.

Friday saw a laid back SBR group ride, then dinner at a place near Rick's. Lots of fun to hang around with some of the team and relax. Guiness was flowing, which also helped in the relaxation.

Today was RATL #2. It was almost the complete opposite of RATL #1. SBR worked together, we stayed in the front, and Michael L. and I took 6th and 4th overall, and 2nd and 4th in the group sprint; two riders went off the front with 4 laps to go and must have fired off JATO pods, since they came within about thirty seconds of lapping the pack. Both the guys on the break were pretty fried afterwards, but they certainly earned their trophies and upgrade points today.

All in all, a good couple weeks. Oh yeah, and I put money down on a 58cm Cervelo Soloist Carbon with a Campagnolo Centaur drivetrain. Soon the bike will no longer be an excuse for getting out-sprinted...

2 comments:

Rick said...

Congrats on two very good weekends, Mike.
You'll love the Cervelo....

ds said...

Good work today at RATL, and nice choice of bike.

-dave s.