Monday, April 28, 2008

Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds

So the results for Hinckley are posted. I finished in 1:02:30.5, with a combined run/transition of 21:38. That works out to a 22 mph average speed on the bike for the 15 mile course, only slightly slower than my time trial time from the week before, and that was without a 5k run beforehand. So now I have a good benchmark, it's time to work on improving. One thing I noticed, courtesy of Rick's pictures, is that I toe-down waaaaaay too much in my pedalstroke. That, and I think I need to get fit to the bike a little better when I'm in my bars. That's going to be a project for me and Sean from Bike Authority perhaps after I get the Soloist in and set up, but the pedal stroke is something to work on now. Guess I have my focus for this week's training rides.

2 comments:

JimmyNick said...

The emerging wisdom is that you needn't mess with your toe angle. (In fact, the science/research types, as opposed to the "old-school/always-done-it-this-way" types are beginning to question whether the pursuit of a smooth pedal stroke isn't altogether wrongheaded. So before you mess with it too much, make sure you know for sure why you're doing it.
Great job on those results. You're off to a good season!

Mike N. said...

Thanks, Jim. I think that it's time to get serious with the science-based training stuff now that I'm getting a real bike...